Wednesday, November 11

In honor of Veteran's Day.....

I present my "Soldier's Heart" block for my "Grace and a Prayer" Quilt................


I designed this block a couple of year's ago when I needed a block for a group quilt for a guy. I wanted a block that looked masculine and so I pulled this striped fabric because it reminded me of a man's shirt. I cut the base of the heart, then stitched the two top pieces in place. I appliqued the block to the background square and added a button as it would be at the neck of a shirt. At the time, I cut out a duplicate set of the pattern pieces and always planned to make up the block. I thought it would be perfect for Veteran's Day because it made me think of my dad's shirts. It's not done in patriotic colors but it will work in my quilt. Now I realize not all soldier's are guys. There are a lot of women who have served and given their lives in the Armed Forces. I just happened to be thinking of my dad and also of a high school friend who lost his life in Vietnam. You could make this heart feminine by adding lace or anything else that might suit the person you want to remember. The important thing is to REMEMBER those who have served their country.
If there is interest in the pattern, I can draw it up and post it tomorrow. Have a good day!
Sandi
Edit: A little change in plans ....... if you would like the pdf for this block pattern, please send me an e-mail with "Soldier's Heart" in the subject line (click on "about me" to get to my e-mail).

7 comments:

Owl Lady said...

Sandi, please post the heart pattern for us. Thanks. I would make it in honor of my father who was in WWI. In 1966 he died on Veterans Day, a Friday, and was buried on Monday, which was the observed holiday date. I was only 19 at that time, but I credit him with being the most influential person in my life.

Crispy said...

Gosh what a wonderful block!!

Crispy

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful, Sandi.

Karen said...

I like the way you used the stripes in this block!

crafty diane said...

That is a beautiful heart! I love listening to the music you have on your blog!
Please take a minute to check out my Etsy Store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftydiane
Thank you and Have a Blessed Day,
Diane

julieQ said...

Yes indeed, thank you to all you Veterans everywhere!! Love your block, Sandy.

Blogless me said...

A very clever idea and a sweet touch with the button!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018