Thursday, November 20

"Purses with Purpose"

Some of my friends nearby have been involved in several projects that I come up with and for some time I have been meaning to tell you about our "Purse Project". A comment on the Pickle Yahoo group gave me the gentle nudge to do just that. At this time of year, there are many in need and many more will be in need as the economy sags. If you have the extra time and money here's a project that can help someone out. I gave it the name "Purses with Purpose". Lots of you are in groups that donate quilts. I've been in several quilt groups that made quilts to donate to the women's shelter and to some area nursing homes. And, of course, we got together this past summer to form "Sew and Share" to make quilts and totebags for Iowa Flood victims. Several years ago, our quilt group made the usual quilts, and then one year I coordinated a project for our small church women's group and we made tote bags - some for kids filled with coloring books, colors, toys, etc. in bright, fun fabrics. And then we made "mom" bags and filled them with cosmetics, notepad and pen, nail file, etc. The next year we took it a step further and made more totebags but I asked for purses, too. I figured we all have a new purse we've bought and never used but then most of the gals bought purses to donate! Cool! From a small group of about 11 women we assembled 43 new purses (included a few totebags). I asked my friends to think what it would be like if they had to leave their house in a hurry and left their purse behind and fill the purses accordingly. They really came through! Some were really stuffed, others not so much but they filled them with wallets, photo albums, hairbrush, nail care, cosmetics, personal care, notepad, pens, earrings, dental floss, phone card, etc. I dropped them off and a few weeks later got an e-mail from the shelter director that the purses were a very popular item at their Christmas distribution event. So, my challenge to you today would be that if you have a new purse sitting in your closet or you can make a few totebags, do so and fill them and then take them to a nearby shelter. Sometimes a new purse can really make one feel good and a kid loves a totebag with a new box of colors and a few other goodies to provide entertainment. And if you have time and you're so inclined, make a couple of Christmas stockings, too and fill those. I started a "Stuff a Stocking" program where I used to work several years ago and my co-workers had a great time filling stockings for kids. I asked each to take an age and boy or girl to shop for and they filled those socks to the brim. I like doing stuff like this because it makes me smile and know that I have made a smile come to the faces of people I don't even know.
A very good friend, kindly called me a "sentimental slob" and I think she's right. I'm also kind of a "sewing room slob" but I sure have fun in my fabric mess!!!
Got a busy day ahead and will share more later. Oh, and the description on my quilt needs to be posted. Gotta run now though. Later.
Sandi

10 comments:

Sandra :) said...

You have a very kind heart, and I'm sure the recipients of your items and your groups' items, are most appreciative!

Nanette Merrill said...

Such such a great idea. It is a good way to stop feeling sorry for ourselves about the economy and do something. I have a lady in my church ward that has cancer and is getting chemo. I think I'll make her a bag and fill it with fun things to cheer her up. ANy ideas of things to fill would be welcomed. Thanks Sandi.

Selina said...

That is such a beautiful idea!

Julie Bagamary said...

This is a GREAT idea.

Val said...

I love this idea. You are so very thoughtful. Great idea.

trash said...

What a fabulous idea. You are definitely a generous soul.

I am blog-hopping my way through Chookyblue's SSCS list to see who ekse is playing along.

tami said...

Thank you very much for trying to make our world a better place. With the state of the economy and the greed that led to it's downfall it is refreshing to see people trying, in whatever way they can think of, to help others less fortunate. Sometimes the smallest thing can make a huge difference for someone else.

Samantha said...

Sandi, you are such a bright light. I love the way the you use your talents to help others....

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love seeing my name HUGE over there on your sidebar. LOLOL!!!!!!1

Nihal said...

Sandi dearest....
Ayyy.. ay.. My God...
Arrived:)
Your clippings' package arrived safely TODAY, yahoooooo! I loved the photo of you and your Mom Mary Linn. Give a BIG HUG and pass my warm wishes to Her, please. Wonderful photo, great Ads about Turkey and ohh.. Obama's news.
Many thanks from the heart!
Have a fruitful Monday.

N~

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018